Thursday, August 9, 2012

Durango & Silverton

August 7, 2012

When I was a little baby, my favorite book was about the roundhouse and trains of the Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad. I have seen many videos about the trains.  I even have a G-Scale Durango & Silverton passenger train that I love to run, when it works.

When my daddy asked if I wanted to go to Colorado to ride the Durango & Silverton, I said yes!

Last night, we arrived in Durango and stayed at the famous Strater Hotel, one block from the Durango & Silverton station. This is the lobby. We had a yummy steak dinner in our fancy room, watching the Olympics. Thank you Mommy for treating us to dinner.


I thought nothing could be better than riding the Durango & Silverton, until the conductor announced that the train would be pulled by two stream locomotives. The train needed more power because extra cars were added for all the passengers. This was very special and it doesn't happen very often. Even the conductor was excited.

Daddy asked if they knew it was my birthday? Here are the dueling steamies.


The train chugs along the Animas River, often hugging rock cliffs far above the river. The river is way down in the gorge in this picture.


On the way back, we rode in an open air car and nearly froze to death in the cold rain. We bought the one and only Durango & Silverton blanket on the train. Brrrr.

The sun finally came out and here I am with my penguino, Icy Cold Blue Feet.


Daddy likes this art shot of Icy Cold.


You know how much I like it when a steam train blows off steam. Today, the train kept making crazy rainbows when it blew off steam.


I am a very happy 10 year old boy.

1 comment:

Jim and Elaine Barnett said...

What a wonderful day you had. Perfect ride. I love the picture of the open car. No wonder it was so cold. Bet you have taken many, many pictures. Has Flat Stanley enjoyed Thr trip as much as you and younDad have?

Post a Comment