Tuesday, August 14, 2012

The Georgetown Loop Shay

August 9, 2012

After a wondrous ride in the Leadville Caboose and Engine, we rode the Georgetown Loop in the afternoon. Nothing could be more exciting than our special trip on the Leadville train, so I thought.

The engine at Georgetown was a Shay steam locomotive.


I was so excited to ride a Shay. Shay locomotives are rare and were used to climb steep slopes in the mountains. The Shay has three cylinder boxes that turn crank shafts that power the wheels.

Real train fans will love seeing the short video of the Shay in motion on the historic curved bridge and hear its terrific whistle.



Our conductor Dwight was impressed that I rode in the cab of Leadville train. He asked if I would help the crew hook up the Georgetown Shay for the next ride. 


I am a very helpful rider. Here I am walking up the tracks to the Shay.


After throwing the switch, I rode in the cab of the Shay and we drove the Shay back to the front of the train. It was really hot in the cab, but I got lots of great pictures on my camera Cece  Here I am hopping off the train.


No comments:

Post a Comment