Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Day Three: Over the Equator and through the Sea to Turtle’s House We Go


On the way to Isabela Island, we crossed an invisible line and had a big celebration on board. Guess what the line is called?  Here is a hint.


We crossed the equator! Afterwards, we did a limbo dance on deck honoring our passage.

We reached Turtle’s house, just past the equator and off the coast of Isabela Island. Here is a short video of one of the giant sea turtles we snorkeled with, filmed by my daddy with his GoPro. The sea turtle was very peaceful, and I think he would enjoy mindfulness.


Fernandina Island is one of the most pristine nature sanctuaries on the planet. We saw hundreds of marine iguanas, at least 50 sea lions, crabs galore and a Galapagos Hawk, the largest land predator in the archipelago.

Here I am making a funny face and frantically gesturing to try to make “Pedro” the Iguana move.



Despite my best and most foolish efforts, Pedro sat unfazed. An interesting fact about the Galapagos Islands is that there are no predators for larger animals like iguanas, sea lions and tortoises. I walked within just a few feet of marine iguanas and sea lions, and none seemed to even notice that I existed.

I’ve already told you lots abut sea lions, NOT SEALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!, but I’m not sure if you realize that the Sea Lions are !EVERYWHERE! and almost all of them just lay around like they are dead.

The “Perfect” photo that I took is of a momma Sea Lion feeding “Cutekins Jr.” who would really like some of her milk.


We close this episode with an art shot of a marine iguana. My daddy says that an art shot is often the same thing as a mistake.  Here I am taking a picture of a marine iguana. Can you guess who the Shadow is?


We will leave you hanging until tomorrow’s post.

1 comment:

Jim and Elaine Barnett said...

Christopher, We are so enjoying this amazing and awesome journey you and your family are enjoying. I do like the art photo and my guess is the shadow is YOU. Keep having fun and letting us hear and see/sea it.

Post a Comment