Friday, December 20, 2013

Day 6: Attack of the Amorous Tortoises


Today we arrived, after a rocky night of sailing, at Santa Cruz Island, home of the Charles Darwin Research Station!  The Research Station has a highly successful breeding program for endangered Galapagos Giant Tortoises and land iguanas. We saw all of these teeny tiny baby tortoises, here is a picture of them!


The different colored numbers on their shells identify which tortoises came from each island. We saw lots of older tortoises having a tasty breakfast/brunch of veggies.  Here’s a photograph.


This next marvel of photography is of saddleback tortoises.  These tortoises adapted this shell shape - and also longer legs and necks - so that they could reach tall cactuses on the dry islands – sort of like giraffes.  In contrast, the dome shell tortoises (pictured earlier) are found on the wetter islands where plenty of food is available on the ground.


After we explored the Research Station, we headed to a working family farm where we saw how they make coffee and sugar cane juice, candy (and booze).  I chewed a delightful piece of sugar cane and enjoyed sugar cane juice with bitter orange.

Next, after lunch at an island restaurant called The Narwhale, we went into the  highlands where the giant tortoises roam.  The farmers figured out two things up here – (1) no fence can keep out the tortoises, and (2) letting tourists pay to come on your farm and hang out with a bunch of free range tortoises is good business!  Here I am with my new buddy Tipper the Tortoise.


We also saw a group of tortoises enjoying an afternoon mud bath. 


And we came upon this cute couple enjoying an amorous moment – although the girl tortoise seemed to want a playful game of tag as she kept “running” away – at top lumbering tortoise speed – about 1 mile a week.


Finally, we got to hike into a lava tube – this one is a double decker with one lava tube on top of another.


2 comments:

Jim and Elaine Barnett said...

Those little baby tortoises are so very cute. Did they tell you how old they will be before they are released? I am guessing that the numbers mean they will return them to the island of the number they proudly are wearing? Your Mom looks like she is having a good time too. Be sure and say "Happy Birthday" to your Dad for us.

Anonymous said...

I'M NOW FULFILL FINANCIALLY BECAUSE OF THE LOAN I GOT FROM LFDS .I would like to bring this to the notice of the public about how i came in contact with LFDS after i lost my job and being denied loan by my bank and other financial institution due to my credit score. I could not pay my children's fees. I was behind on bills, about to be thrown out of the house due to my inability to pay my rent, It was during this period my kids were taken from me by foster care. Then i set out to seek for funds online where i lost $3,670 that i borrowed from friends which i was rip off by two online loan companies. Until i read about:Le_Meridian Funding Service  (lfdsloans@outlook.com / lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com) somewhere on the internet, Still wasn't convince because of what i have been through until a relative of mine who is a clergy also told me about the ongoing loan scheme of LFDS at a very low interest rate of 1.9%% and lovely repayment terms without penalty for default of payment. I have no choice than to also contact them which i did through text +1-989-394-3740 and Mr Benjamin responded back to me That day was the I'M best and greatest day of my life which can never be forgotten when i receive a credit alert of $400,000.00 Usd loan amount i applied for. I utilized the loan effectively to pay up my debts and to start up a business and today i and my kids are so happy and fulfill. You can as well contact them through email: (lfdsloans@outlook.com / lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com)  WhatsApptext  helpline: +1-989-394-3740 Why am i doing this? I am doing this to save as many that are in need of a loan not to be victim of scams on the internet. Thanks and God bless you all, I'm Oleksander Artem from Horizon Park BC , Ukrain.

Post a Comment